Friday, February 10, 2012

Angela Benton

Let's see, I've worked at several InterActive Corp businesses including RealEstate.com, LendingTree.com, and RushmoreDrive.com. I've also held roles at Bizjournals.com, UPS, and Homes of Color Magazine. I've been lucky to work in several different roles throughout my career including design, marketing, development, and digital strategy.

Currently I run Black Web Media, which publishes BlackWeb20.com... most people know me from this work. Our mission is to be a catalyst for innovative and inclusive ideas on the web for African-Americans. Under BWM we produce a conference and accelerator, NewME, our goal is to steer the Internet economy to be more diverse and inclusive.

Sometimes I get the opportunity to speak at conferences, it's fun even though it has taken some getting use to. When I do speak I tend to talk about diversity in the technology industry, web trends, and digital strategy.

I've been extremely fortunate and blessed in my 30 years to have my work recognized. Fast Company named me one of their Most Influential Women in Technology and Ebony Magazine’s included me in their Power 150. I am also the youngest Hall of Fame inductee of the Minority Media and Telecommunications Council and a 2010 Woman of Power honoree by the National Urban League, all were really exciting accomplishments. Recently, I was featured in CNN's Black in America 4 for the work that I am doing with the NewME Accelerator.

I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Communications with a specialization in Digital Design. I also completed postgraduate coursework in Graphic Design from Savannah College of Art and Design. Though I don't get to design much anymore it's still a passion of mine.

This pretty much sums up my career so far. It's just the beginning.

Source: http://about.me/angelabenton

No comments: