Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Kevin’s ‘Hart’ of Gold: Comedian Gives $250K to Philly Schools

Actor-comedian Kevin Hart donated $250,000 to the School District of Philadelphia to assist in the purchase of 500 computers for its schools and recreation centers. As a Philadelphia native, Hart felt fortunate to be able to give back. He said in a statement, “I am blessed to be in a position that allows me to give back to the city that made me who I am.”

Mayor Michael Nutter joined Hart on Friday to visit four schools that collectively received 300 laptops. The district has endured severe budget cuts this year, including the closure of about two dozen schools.
In an interview with Hot 107.9′s Philly’s Morning Show, Kevin added:

“I felt like the city was in a time of need. I feel like it’s good to step up and show kids that regardless of where I’m at in my life now, I once sat in the same seat they sit in.  This city made me. So, me reaching back is me showing them, you have the same opportunity that I had, and it’s just time to make the best of it. You’re not alone. You have people like me that care and hopefully me doing what I’m doing will provoke other people to step up and do the same and help out when they can.”

When asked if he thought that other Philly celebs would step up or if he’d be the only one, he responded:

“Well if I am I am. This isn’t something that’s going to go away from my standpoint. I bleed Philadelphia. There is gonna be other ways where I can help. This time, it was me going in my pocket alone, without sponsors or other people to add to it. The next time, because of the attention that this has drawn, I’ll get corporate companies to come in and get involved and help me raise money. This is definitely a start of something big for me. I’m jumping into this philanthropy world and for me, this is where I wanted it to start. How am I going to continue to raise money? I don’t know yet, that’s why I went into my pocket personally, but this is something that I’m going to take serious and go full steam ahead with it.

“I can only do but so much. It’s sad and I know they are struggling and it’s at a point where the city can only do but so much because the debt that they are in. This is when I really really need a voice and it’s funny because I didn’t know how I could be a voice, how I could do things. I’m a comedian, I’m not trying to go out and talk about politics, I’m not doing that,  that’s not my lane. Then by accident, I found my lane, helping my city.  That’s my lane, trying to put my city on my back, uplift it and showing these kids that I give a damn.  By showing them that I give a damn, hopefully, it’ll keep them interested to stay in school, and make it out, like I did.”

Source: http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/11/01/good-deed-kevin-hart-donates-250k-philadelphia-school-system/

No comments: