Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Janelle Monáe - Speech for the Young, Gifted and Black Award at the 2012 BET Awards



Janelle Monae’s acceptance speech for the Young, Gifted and Black Award at the 2012 BET Awards:

“When I started my music career, I was a maid. I used to clean houses. My mother was a proud janitor. My stepfather, who raised me like his very own, worked at the post office and my father was a trashman. They all wore uniforms and that’s why I stand here today, in my black and white, and I wear my uniform to honor them.

This is a reminder that I have work to do. I have people to uplift. I have people to inspire. And today, I wear my uniform proudly as a Cover Girl. I want to be clear, young girls, I didn’t have to change who I was to become a Cover Girl. I didn’t have to become perfect because I’ve learned throughout my journey that perfection is the enemy of greatness.

Embrace what makes you unique, even if it makes others uncomfortable.” - Janelle Monáe

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog! Dress makes a man/woman perfect. Trendy clothes and accessories for Afro-American are now the prominent thing to know about. Now specialized stores are available for them. http://www.curreg.com/

Unknown said...

i like this,you must continuon