Saturday, December 20, 2008

DECLARATION OF FINANCIAL EMPOWERMENT

TODAY IS THE DAY I TAKE CONTROL OF MY FINANCIAL DESTINY. DECLARATION OF FINANCIAL EMPOWERMENT



In order to attain a measure of success, power and wealth, I shall uphold the principles of saving and investing as well as controlled spending and disciplined consumerism. I vow to fully participate in the capital markets and make a solid commitment to a program of wealth accumulation. Determination and consistency will serve as my guides, and I shall not allow external or internal forces to keep me from reaching my goals. By adjusting my course and embracing a new mandate that stresses planning, education and fortitude, I lay a strong, unbreakable foundation for the preservation and enrichment of my family, children and children's children.



I, _______________________,from this day forward, declare my vigilant and life-long commitment to financial empowerment. I pledge the following:



1. To use homeownership to build wealth



2. To save and invest 10% to 15% of my after-tax income



3. To commit to a program of retirement planning and investing



4. To engage in sound budget, credit, and tax management practices



5. To measure my personal wealth by net worth, not income



6. To be proactive and knowledgeable about investing, money management, and consumer issues



7. To provide access to programs that will educate my children about business and finance



8. To support the creation and growth of profitable, competitive black-owned enterprises



9. To use a portion of my wealth to strengthen my community



10. To ensure that my wealth is passed on to future generations

I have committed to this unwavering, personal covenant as a means of bolstering myself, my family and my community. In adopting this resolution, I intend to use all available resources, wisdom and power to gain my share of the American Dream.


Agreed and signed: _____________________ Date:______

Printable Version: Declaration of Financial Empowerment

Source: http://www.blackenterprise.com/Investing/20.htm

1 comment:

Iam Robert said...

This is a great idea! In order to make this happen in our lives, attention needs to be drawn to one critical fact: African-Americans spend far more than they save--often on wants vice needs. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that we, as black people, spend something that amounts to the total GNP of some third world nations! Yet, many of the companies out there don't hire us or respest us when we enter their stores. In order to make this contract a reality in our lives, we must also pleadge to see money for what it is--a tool. We must then buy what we need first and then only from vendors that support our causes, our blackness, and our dignity.